First NHS Total Orthopaedic Solutions procurement collaboration
The four NHS procurement hubs have agreed to develop a Total Orthopaedic Solutions framework agreement.
The four Hubs - North of England Commercial Procurement Collaborative (NOE CPC), NHS London Procurement Partnership (LPP), NHS Commercial Solutions and East of England NHS Collaborative Procurement Hub (EOE CPH) - plan to develop, award and deliver this next initiative by 1st January 2015.
Keith Rowley, NOE CPC Managing Director, points out that “a key objective of this collaboration is to build on the groundbreaking work we have collectively undertaken in other NHS procurement categories and continue to avoid duplication of effort, thereby addressing one of the main areas of concern raised by the DH in its 2013 publication Better Procurement Better Value Better Care.”
As LPP’s Medical, Surgical and Supply Chain senior workstream lead Marc Osborne says, “We are seeking to award a total solutions framework agreement that for the first time will see contract coverage across the hubs’ membership including product areas not previously taken to market. Our priority will be to deliver benefits and solutions for our respective hub members but we will be structuring the framework agreement so that it can apply nationally, further simplifying procurement in this category.”
This activity is, as Alyson Brett, Chief Executive of NHS Commercial Solutions says “demonstrating best practice for NHS procurement.”
The scope of the project is now being developed by a new cross-hub group established to run this collaboration. The group anticipates that the framework agreement will include a number of lots including:
• Orthopaedic Lower Limb Arthroplasty – Hip and Knee Primary & Revision joint replacement including bespoke/custom made implants
• Orthopaedic Extremities – Shoulder, Elbow and Ankle Joint Reconstruction and fracture management through prosthetic implantation, including bespoke/custom made implants.
• Orthopaedic Trauma, Implants and Consumables – All Trauma implants by way of emergency trauma and elective non-recon / congenital correction implants, external fixation devices and consumables.
o Trauma will also include Maxillo-Facial products
• Spine – Orthopaedic spinal implants and consumables including spinal bone substitutes.
• Arthroscopy / Sports Medicine – All capital and consumable items required for arthroscopic surgery including all stack systems and hardware for resection / ablation etc. All specialist instrumentation, disposables and Implants for soft tissue repair and mobilisation.
• Orthopaedic Power Tools and Consumables – Large bone, Trauma and High Speed power tools including all associated consumables and maintenance.
• Bone Preparation – Bone cement, Mixing Systems, Pulse Lavage, Bone substitutes, associated products.
• Enhanced recovery systems
The Framework will also look to address solutions with regards to:
• Managed Services solutions
• Value added proposals
David John, Chief Executive of EOE CPH concludes that ”By working together, and combining national buying power with our strong regional and local engagement, we can deliver highly competitive agreements that really meet the needs of the NHS, of suppliers and above all of patients”.
07-07-14    Medical Surgical Supply Chain
Tom Wynne to join NHS Improvement as London Procurement Head
Tom Wynne, who has been Senior Workstream Lead for NHS London Procurement Partnership’s Medical and Surgical team for the past two years, has been appointed to the new NHS Improvement Regional Head of Procurement role for London.
Nutrition Supply Services Framework has now been published
The tender for a new Nutrition Supply Services Framework (including enteral feeds, pumps, consumables, home delivery service and support services) has now been published.
Hub collaboration on Total Orthopaedic Solutions wins HSJ Value award
The national NHS Total Orthopaedic Solutions framework won the Value and Improvement in Procurement category at the 2015 HSJ Value in Healthcare Awards on 22nd September.
First pan-NHS cardiology framework now live
The NHS Collaborative Procurement Partnership (NHS CPP) comprising the four NHS collaborative procurement hubs (NHS London Procurement Partnership, NHS Commercial Solutions, East of England NHS Collaborative Procurement Hub and NHS North of England Commercial Procurement Collaborative) has awarded and implemented a Total Cardiology Solutions framework agreement.