Scan4Safety (GS1) Strategic Outline Plan Guidance
The aim of this area is to disseminate any guidance material and templates released by the Department of Health, to support trusts in their adoption and planning of GS1 and PEPPOL standards.
Since the publication of the NHS eProcurement Strategy in May 2014, acute NHS trusts in England have been aware that they are required to implement GS1 barcoding and PEPPOL messaging standards within their organisation. By June 2015, each trust needs to produce a Strategic Outline Plan, defining at a high level how they will aproach this and describe loose timescales for each primary use case and core enabler. Over the next two to three months the Department of Health has suggested the following responsibilities and undertakings:
The department will:
• provide detailed use case material
• provide detailed GS1 keys and PEPPOL material
• provide a template ‘cost and benefits’ calculator
• provide a template implementation plan
• provide a template strategic outline case.
The trust will:
• develop a strategic outline plan with in-principle Board agreement
• including high level as is/to be architecture plan
• high level cost/benefit analysis
• high level timeline assessment
• share the strategic outline plan with DH
All guidance and template documentation released by the Department has been published on the GS1 Standards in Healthcare workspace on the NHS Centre for Procurement Excellence portal. In general, only GS1 Leads from each trust have been given access to this portal and so this area aims to share this information with a wider group of our members to ensure compliance in the initiative.
For further information please contact Nicola Atack.